Thursday, September 10, 2009

Abandoned Farmhouse


I frequent a website named DPREVIEW.COM because of my love for photography. They run challenges every week and I wanted to enter this image into an event requiring pictures of old farmhouses. Unfortunately it was disqualified because of a timing issue.

Still, it got me thinking about land and ownership. We were in the area where Chief Joseph started his famous run from the US Calvary after having his land taken back by the government, and that made me start to wonder what we can really own. To own something means that it is 100% yours and that it can't be taken away, you can do with it what you will. If I don't pay my taxes the county will come take my house, even though I own it. If I get caught driving recklessly the police can impound my car and not give it back until I pay the fine, even though I own it.

After some thought I came to believe that the only thing that is truly yours, to do with what you will, is your soul. You can believe in the God and/or Deity you choose regardless of your circumstances. There may be a heavy penalty to pay, but it cannot be taken from you regardless of what the world throws at you. I find great comfort in that.

2 comments:

  1. Great picture, and great point. Truly a person's inner world -- your right of self determination -- is the truest sovereign territory, under the leadership of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool photo. It has all the important (to photographers) elements like diagonal lines, vanishing points, rule of thirds, etc. Good job!

    ReplyDelete