Saturday, September 12, 2009

Everyday Heroes


One of the reasons that dogs are so endearing is that they all think their masters are fabulous. Sometimes I think they understand things that we don’t, like who their heroes really are.

I have a friend who was laid off due to the economy. He is in his fifties, a computer programmer and so far unable to find another position. With three children and a wife looking to him for support, he has been struggling with the stress that only someone who has felt the burden of responsibility can understand. Everyday he gets up and tries again, faces the world and does his best. And while popular culture glorifies athletes and celebrities as heroes because they can throw a ball or look good on television, in my mind that just makes them lucky, not great. A great man is someone like my friend; a guy who delays his boyhood dreams and faces uncertainty with courage and fortitude. Sometimes being a grown up means having to accept that there is no right answer, no solution, you just have to live with the circumstances and bear the weight.

Which brings me back to my dog, people love pets because of the unselfish friendship they provide, something we can all learn. Instead of wasting my efforts on false heroes, untouchable icons who don’t need, care or even know of our labors, I have decided to try and encourage those around me. The world is full of everyday heroes who ask for nothing but deserve the best we can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment